- Samantha Reig, PhD
Sam successfully defended her PhD! Its interview season, so we’re still waiting to see where she’ll be in the fall. Keep an eye out for updates on her website.
- Lynn Kirabo, PhD
Kirabo successfully defended her PhD! She’ll be an Assistant Professor of Climate and Computer Science at Harvey Mudd College in the Fall of 2023.
- TBD Pedestrian Dataset
Allan et al. have released our social navigation pedestrian dataset. This contains labels for 1412 pedestrians in 8 recording sessions, with six static cameras and one human-pushed cart providing a human perspective.
- Zhi Tan, PhD
Zhi has successfully completed his PhD! He’s now a postdoc at Georgia Tech for the NSF AI Institute for Collaborative Assistance and Responsive Interaction for Networked Groups (AI-CARING).
- CoRL Oral and ASSETS
Team members recently presented their work at CoRL and ASSETS. Allan Wang’s CoRL paper was also selected for an oral presentation (top 6.5%).
- CoRL (Oral): Wang, A., Mavrogiannis, C., & Steinfeld, A. Group-based Motion Prediction for Navigation in Crowded Environments.
- ASSETS Poster: Limprayoon, J. F., Pareek, P., Tan, X. Z., & Steinfeld, A. Robot Trajectories When Approaching a User with a Visual Impairment.
- Summer 21 Conference Papers
Team members have papers at three conferences this summer:
- DIS: Reig, S., Luria, M., Forberger, E., Won, I., Steinfeld, A., Forlizzi, J., & Zimmerman, J. Social Robots in Service Contexts: Exploring the Rewards and Risks of Personalization and Re-embodiment.
- SIGDIAL: Romero, O. J., Wang, A., Zimmerman, J., Steinfeld, A., & Tomasic, A. A Task-Oriented Dialogue Architecture via Transformer Neural Language Models and Symbolic Injection.
- IJCAI: Cui, Y., Koppol, P., Admoni, H., Niekum, S., Simmons, R., Steinfeld, A., & Fitzgerald, T. Understanding the Relationship between Interactions and Outcomes in Human-in-the-Loop Machine Learning.
- IJSR Paper Published
A paper titled “Perceptions of Agent Loyalty with Ancillary Users” led by Samantha Reig has been published in the International Journal of Social Robotics.
- Dissertation Award
Qian Yang received a SIGCHI Outstanding Dissertation Award for her thesis work with the lab. Her thesis focused on AI as a UX design material, an area she is continuing to explore as faculty at Cornell University.
- CHI & AfriCHI 2021 papers
Kirabo had two papers accepted recently. Look for them this spring!
- CHI: Kirabo, L., Carter, E. J., Barry, D., & Steinfeld, A. Priorities, technology, & power: Co-designing an inclusive transit agenda in Kampala, Uganda.
- AfriCHI: Kirabo, L., Namara, M., McNeese, N. The Power of the Blue Tick: Ugandans’ experiences and engagement onTwitter at the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- HRI 2021 Papers
Two papers from the lab have been accepted for the ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI). Look for them in March!
- Reig, S., Carter, E. J., Fong, T., Forlizzi, J., & Steinfeld, A. Flailing, hailing, prevailing: Perceptions of multi-robot failure recovery strategies.
- Tan, X. Z., Luria, M., Forlizzi, J., & Steinfeld, A. Charting sequential person transfers between devices, agents, and robots.